Thank you for supporting our children this year! If you enjoyed playing and would like to participate for similar events, register for the Bhumi India Run to run for a cause and future Bhumi Sports League events.
The idea of Play for a Cause emerged early 2015 when our volunteers decided to put together a fundraiser – an event that would help us showcase our work to the corporate world while providing a platform for its employees to compete in a healthy environment. This year, the third edition of the Bhumi Sports League (earlier Bhumi Corporate League), was much bigger and awe inspiring. Conducted on Saturday, February 11, 2017 and Sunday, February 12, 2017 at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, we had 968 participants from 45 corporates participating in 19 different events.
At about 8AM, we had participants walking through the gates of the stadium in anticipation of what the day had in store for them. As the registration desks hussled with cross-checking and fixtures preparation, the participants descended to various venues, anticipating the sporting tussle and impending victories. As Chennai’s temperature rose every minute, the competitive spirit of the participants too soared high. With many wins and few defeats, the day drew close not for an end, but for a beginning of semi-finals and finals for the next day.
February 12 was a special day, not just for the corporate team finalists but also for our Bhumi home sports buddies. Conducted on Sunday, February 12, 2017, our children took part in Nakshatra Finals, Bhumi’s annual inter-shelter home [orphanage] sports talent fest for children to exhibit their talents and explore potential in an atmosphere of healthy competition.
Our volunteers, mostly students and young professionals, had a wonderful time organising this League over the last one month; and we hope you too enjoyed. Bhumi thanks each and every participant for having put through with the glitches from organising an event of this scale.
- No. of corporate companies: 45
- No. of participants – 968
- Top 3 participations from Tata Consultancy Services, Zoho Corporation and Yazaki automobile
- No. of events: 19
- Field Events: High Jump, Long Jump, Shot Put, Triple Jump
- Indoor Events: Badminton, Carrom, Chess, Table Tennis
- Outdoor Events: Basket ball, Football (5 a side), Kabaddi, Throw ball, Volley ball
- Track Events: 100m run, 200m run, 400m run, 800m run, 1500m run, 4x100M relay
- No. of volunteers: 120
- Total funds raised from registrations: Rs. 2,34,000
- Overall Corporate Championship: Tata Consultancy Services
- Best Participating Corporates: Infosys, Zoho Corporation, Accenture.
- Photos from the event can be viewed on www.facebook.com/bhumileague